Application of Finite Discrete Element Method (FDEM) in engineering provides start-up for the practical use of Y-2D numerical program based on FDEM method in engineering.
The motivation for conducting this course arises from the fact that knowledge of basics of FDEM is an essential skill for numerical modelling of discontinuum problems. The course will provide participants with skills to learn about FDEM application in reinforced concrete and masonry structures and about the limitations and further development of FDEM by parallelization approach.
Introduction to the basis of the Finite/Discrete Element Method (FDEM): contact detection, contact interaction, deformability , transformation from continua to discontinua
FDEM application in reinforced concrete structures
FDEM application in masonry structures
Parallelization of FDEM
5 day course
Sample data will be provided for practise and for final presentation
Every student gets lecture notes binded as booklet as well as CD containing digital version of booklet, current version of Y-code
• Introduction to the basis of the Finite/Discrete Element Method (3 h) • Individual work/exercise (1h)
• FDEM applied in reinforced concrete structures (3h) • Individual work/exercise (1h)
• FDEM applied in masonry structures (3h) • Individual work/exercise (1h)
• Parallelization concepts in FDEM– CUDA, OpenCL, MPI (3h) • Individual work/exercise (1h)
• Final student projects (3 h) • Final presentations (1 h)